The Nest aims to align efforts to improve the wellbeing of children and youth, aged 0-24 years. It is about collectively identifying what it is we should be aiming to achieve for children and youth. The focus is on the most effective prevention-focused and evidence-based ways to achieve this change.
The Nest builds on existing frameworks and programs, and bridges the critical gaps between them. It is based on the fact governments alone can't meet all the needs of young people. In particular, that the significant issues facing young Australians can't be improved by one 'magic' program, one policy, or one organisation working in isolation.
The Nest not a quick fix, but a collaborative, evidence-based and sustained ongoing agenda, and includes:
- A consultation with around 4000 children and families to understand their aspirations and expectations about child and youth wellbeing – the starting point for The Nest.
- A stock-take of effort – mapping what is currently happening in Australia to meet these needs.
- A national summit (Phase 1) – held in November 2012 involved young people and Australia's leading 'thinkers and doers', to map out the action required to fill the gaps, align efforts and start planning action.
- An analysis of evidence on 'best buys' to improve child and youth wellbeing – this evidence review to be completed by August 2013.
- The ARACY Report Card: The wellbeing of young Australians – provides an international comparison and a common metric on the wellbeing of young Australians, including ATSI and trend data.
- Developing strategies to align efforts – commencing late 2013-14, this will help progress the collective action needed to improve wellbeing.
- Ongoing review – commencing late 2014, The Nest will be regularly reviewed and updated.
You can join the collective effort by becoming a champion for progressing a national agenda that makes the wellbeing of young people a major priority by:
- adopting the Report Card as your framework for measuring and reporting outcomes;
- supporting ‘best buy’ and prevention-focused interventions to improve young people’s wellbeing; and
- aligning your effort with others across Australia.
The Nest is initiated and facilitated by ARACY, and principal partner, Bupa Health Foundation.
For more information, phone ARACY on 02 6248 2400 or email us.